FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy(NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
This position's base reporting location is in Wadsworth Township, Ohio with flexible remote work opportunities. This position is within FirstEnergy's IT Security Operations and reports to the Manager of Security Technologies.
The Cyber Security Systems Administrator is responsible for the operation of cyber security systems protecting FirstEnergy and the electric grid. This role requires a high level of technical expertise, with a strong understanding and knowledge of computer, network, and security systems. The position is responsible for a broad range of tasks, including the installation, configuration, and administration of security platforms across the enterprise. This includes working on the complete lifecycle for security systems such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, authentication systems, remote access VPN systems, PKI infrastructure, endpoint protection, and cloud security. In addition, this role is responsible for responding to operational and cyber security incidents.
- Primary responsibilities include the installation, configuration, and administration of various security platforms including firewalls, web proxies, intrusion detection / prevention systems, endpoint protection, authentication systems, authorization systems, VPN remote access, PKI, RSA, and Microsoft Azure cloud-based network security solutions.
- Create network policies, access control lists (ACL), and authorization rules to support business requirements and to defend against unauthorized access.
- Update security platforms with the latest firmware, software, and security patches.
- Install, configure, administer, and perform software patching of Fortinet firewalls, Cisco firewalls, Checkpoint firewalls, and Juniper firewalls.
- Setup and administer Microsoft Azure solutions, such as Network Security Group (NSG), Web Application Firewall (WAF), Azure Firewall, Microsoft Intune MDM, Microsoft Defender ATP, and Microsoft Security Center.
- Install, configure, administer, and perform software patching of Cisco Identity Service Engine (ISE).
- Configure and administer Microsoft Network Policy Server (NPS) authentication and authorization.
- Install, configure, administer, and perform software patching of Dell RSA SecureID.
- Setup, configure, and administer Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM). Configure and install Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client antivirus software in multiple domains.
- Setup, configure, and administer Symantec Protection Engine (SPE) for NAS.
- Administrate and perform software patching of McAfee Web Gateway, including an enterprise proxy PAC file.
- Install, configure, administer, and perform software patching of Cisco Firepower Sourcefire Intrusion Detection System (IDS).
- Design, configure, and administer Microsoft Enterprise Certificate Authority Services. Administer Root and Issuing Certificate Authority servers and support business certificate needs.
- Perform incident response for operational and cyber security related issues.
- Perform log analysis utilizing Splunk to investigate and troubleshoot both security and operational events.
- Work with cross-functional teams on network and security projects.
- Respond to tier 3 level support requests that are escalated to the team.
- Respond to off-hours operational issues and security incidents on a rotating team schedule.
- Ensure security-related systems meet all regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Willing and able to occasionally travel to other corporate locations in support of cyber security initiatives.
- Maintain appropriate levels of training and education required within the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Security, or similar discipline is preferred. A bachelor's degree in another field with relevant industry experience in IT Security Operations and Cyber Security will be considered.
- Preferred experience includes Fortinet firewall, Juniper firewall, Cisco firewall, Checkpoint firewall, Cisco Identity Service Engine (ISE), Microsoft Network Policy Server (NPS), Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP), Symantec Protection Engine (SPE), Microsoft Defender ATP, Microsoft Enterprise Active Directory Certificate Services, PKI, certificates, McAfee Web Gateway proxy, Cisco Firepower Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), Dell RSA SecureID, Microsoft Azure, Linux, Cisco VPN, Cisco AnyConnect, Fortinet VPN, Netmotion Mobility VPN, and other Microsoft Enterprise solutions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Radius and TACACS protocols, with an understanding of authentication and authorization systems, such as Cisco Identity Service Engine (ISE).
- Must have experience installing, configuring, and administering various vendor firewalls.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of networking including IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP. Experience in routing a plus.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of Microsoft Server roles and features, Microsoft Windows firewall, Microsoft Active Directory, and Group Policy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Splunk log analysis and syslog.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Microsoft Enterprise Certificate Authority Services, root and issuing certificate authority, PKI, EAP-TLS, code signing certificates, and web server certificates.
- Able to participate in an on-call rotation responding to off-hours calls and alerts in support of operational and security incidents. On rare occasions, this may include on-site response during off-hours.
- Effective business communication skills which include documentation and project status communication. Must compose well-written, professional documents and reports.
- Work effectively with people at varying levels within an organizational hierarchy to accomplish tasks and goals.
- Works well within a professional team to accomplish objectives and system resiliency, while adhering to FirstEnergy's Core Values.
- Ability to travel on occasion to other FirstEnergy buildings in the Akron, Ohio area. Infrequent travel to locations throughout the FirstEnergy service territory may be required of this position.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Networking, or similar discipline with 2 years of experience required. In lieu of a degree, 6 years of relevant experience required.
- Demonstration of independent execution is required.
- Working knowledge of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrable subject matter expert knowledge in at least one major security technology system is required.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant work experience.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a
disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.