Apex Tool Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Tool Maker - Dayton, OH
The Tool Maker position is a Journeyman level role supporting the manufacturing operation that handles the machining / fabrication a wide array of items such as production tooling, jigs, fixtures, and machine replacement parts. In addition to the skill set required to perform job duties, the must possess required leadership skills necessary to develop of others at the apprentice / trainee level.
Job Description Summary (not all inclusive)
- Read blueprints, sketches, specifications &/or working with 2D and 3D computer aided design and manufacturing software (CAD/CAM).
- Marking out the tool design on the 'stock' or casting following engineering drawings, this includes sheet metal as well as other stock.
- Cutting and shaping tools using a combination of lathes, presses and cutting machines.
- Checking dimensions with precision measuring instruments like micrometers and gauges.
- Carrying out basic machine maintenance (Tool Room machinery).
- Operating computer numerically controlled (CNC) tool room machinery. This means a computer program operates the machine, which you will be responsible for programing, setting and operating.
- Align, secure and adjust cutting tools and workpieces.
- Tramming / aligning machinery.
- Figure out speeds and feeds required for different machinery, cutting tools and stock.
- Turn, mill, drill, shape and grind machine parts to specifications.
- Measure, examine, and test completed parts for defects.
- File, grind, adjust and smooth the surfaces of parts or products (lapping if necessary) so they fit properly.
- Compute angles, arcs, etc. as necessary for completion of part.
- Work with engineers to design jigs and fixtures for production.
- Test completed tooling to ensure that they meet specifications.
- Make, grind and sharpen all cutting tools used in Tool Room.
- Locate sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems, using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Determines changes in dimensional requirements of parts by inspecting used parts; using rules, calipers, micrometers and other measuring instruments.
- Conserves company resources by using equipment, base materials and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Monitor tooling made to identify and implement any necessary modifications or repairs.
- Attending machine breakdowns to identify the root cause and solve the problem.
- Calibrating certain machinery.
- Training new tool makers (trainees or apprentices).
- Acts as a lead to direct Tool Room workflow, documenting and communicating action, irregularities, and continuing needs to find solutions.
- May have to train operators/set-up persons to use proper procedures in the operation and setting of the machinery.
- Rebuilding fixtures and certain machine attachments.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops established by the Company.
- Initiate and complete work orders using the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Manufacturing engineers and tool makers often work in close consultation as part of a manufacturing engineering team.
- Building machinery, stands, tooling, etc. from the ground up working under the direction of Engineering.
- This may include plumbing for air and hydraulics, wiring sensors, prox switches, fiber optics, etc. and mounting into place per print.
- Troubleshooting new builds to ensure smooth operation.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- All other job duties as assigned.
- 2-3 years of technical schooling
- 2-4 years of previous manual machining experience
- 2-3 years of previous CNC machining experience
- Advanced Drafting skills (including CAD)
- Advanced understanding of hydraulics, pneumatics and mechanics
- Basic understanding of ladder diagram logic
- Their own tools; See separate list
At Apex Tool Group (www.apextoolgroup.com), we're passionate about innovation. We use our experience
and global insights to create innovative products that excite our customers, and
solve their problems. We harness that same innovative spirit to inspire our
associates and help them grow in their careers.
We're a $1.4B manufacturer of hand and power tools, tool
storage and accessories, chain, and electronic soldering solutions. Our 7,500 associates around the globe have
built powerhouse brands like GEARWRENCH,
SATA, Crescent, Cleco, Weller and APEX, trusted to get the job done right. With an entrepreneurial heritage that began
in the 1800's, today our tools drive efficiency, speed and safety in cutting-edge
automotive, aerospace, electronics, energy, industrial and consumer markets.
As part of the ATG team, you will innovate, move fast,
think globally, learn from your colleagues and grow your career. You'll have opportunities to give back in our
communities, and enjoy competitive benefits as well as a healthy work/life
Our five core values -
Customers Come First, Integrity in All We Do, Continuous Improvement, Innovation
for Growth and Best Talent, One Team - drive how we operate, every
about our brands, our associates, and how we support our communities - follow
us on Facebook/apextoolgroup, Twitter/apextoolgroup and Instagram/ATGCares
If your goal is to work where finding a better way never ends and your ideas
become reality, ATG is the team for you!