Built on the principle that sustainable waste management is an integral part of our environmental and economic infrastructure, Wheelabrator Technologies is a vertically-integrated waste management company committed to delivering essential waste management solutions to the customers and communities we serve. owns or operates 43 strategically located assets in the U.S. and the U.K. including our and locations.
Wheelabrator is owned by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, a business within the Macquarie Asset Management division of Macquarie Group and a global alternative asset manager focused on real estate, infrastructure, agriculture and energy assets. For more on Wheelabrator, please visit , or .
Our Sunny Farms Landfill in Fostoria, OH is looking for a Landfill Operations Manager. The Landfill Operations Manager manages the landfill operation at one or more landfill facilities to ensure that all activities are conducted in compliance with applicable permits, safety, environmental, regulatory, and equipment maintenance policies. The Landfill Operations Manager works closely with the General Manager and Engineering Manager to develop fill sequencing plans to ensure that density goals are achieved and ensures that the landfill is operated in a manner that is consistent with the conditions stipulated in the applicable permits. The Landfill Operations Manager works with the Market Manager, General Manager, and other managers to execute a local market strategy that complements the Company's overall strategic operating and marketing plans and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The position oversees all matters related to landfill operations and oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards; and drives change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the operations of the business unit.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
- Good communication skills; can effectively communicate operating issues to management.
- Able to direct a large staff
- Ability to anticipate business needs and plan accordingly to ensure that equipment, employee and fiscal resources are utilized in the most efficient manner
- High level of analytical skill to develop a range of possible solutions to address a wide range of issues
- Organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement
- Good financial management and planning skills; ability to understand financial terms, budgets, tables and reports. Ability to develop realistic, comprehensive plans to make efficient use of resources.
- Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
- Is process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
- Is collaborative; builds and works with teams.
- Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
- Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
- Has strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on hiring and developing high performance teams
- Certification as a Landfill Operator
- Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company's safety standards; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
- Associates and/ or Bachelor's Degree preferable in Environmental Sciences, Engineering, or Business.
- Manage the landfill operations of one or more landfill sites by overseeing the activities of the Operations Supervisor(s), Lead Operators, Operators and/or Laborers, who are responsible for the safe and efficient daily operations of the landfill.
- Responsible for the management of the staff, including hiring, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, evaluate the site and service requirements of the landfill to develop an effective and efficient operational plan.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all safety, environmental, and equipment maintenance policies and regulations; ensure landfill is operated in a manner that is consistent with conditions stipulated in the applicable permit.
- Collaborate with the General Manager and/or Landfill Vice President and/or Maintenance Manager/Supervisor to ensure landfill equipment is properly maintained and new equipment is obtained when necessary.
- Plan and implement the operational procedures for the receiving and disposing of waste, completion of construction projects and facility maintenance.
- Oversee waste being received; ensure proper handling; supervise and monitor all required testing, including sampling of monitoring wells; monitors utilization of cover material; review soil reports and provide information to Engineering Manager.
- Monitor and control all liquid and/or gas extraction systems on or around the landfill site.
- Manage relationship with all outside contractors.
- Establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and disposal expenses.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Department to ensure all equipment remains in working order and in compliance with safety standards.
- Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
- Works with extended team to develop operating budgets for labor and landfill expenses. Track performance against budget targets. Explain variances and trends as needed.
- Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting, and ethics.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and Microsoft Office
- A minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience preferably in the transportation (or related) industry which requires a thorough knowledge and application of safe working practices including OSHA Haz Com and other federal and state regulations.