Heavy Equipment Field Mechanics are responsible for performing inspections, diagnostic testing, repairs and maintenance on the heavy equipment to ensure safety at various locations. These Mechanics must be able to travel to other locations and work with minimal direction and may direct the work of others. This position routinely requires moderate to extreme physical exertion and may require prolonged standing, bending, kneeling, squatting, and working in awkward positions. Heavy Equipment Mechanics are exposed to extreme weather conditions and shop environment. The hours and physical demand may vary by location. This position will be located in Northern Ohio and will require to travel to Rumpke locations throughout Northern and Eastern Ohio, including but not limited to Cleveland, Medina, Mansfield, Bucyrus, Lima, Columbus, Delaware, and Lake County.
- Services equipment per company maintenance schedules and/or from equipment daily inspection reports.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots mechanical issues and make necessary repairs, adjustments or replacements.
- Performs emergency repairs on breakdowns.
- Inspects, lubricates, and services equipment.
- Checks, fills, and/or changes appropriate fluids for all equipment parts and check/change filters.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs equipment support systems, such as electrical, hydraulic, suspension, air, and brake systems.
- Identifies and performs repairs and adjustments to various components and operating systems on the equipment or related components.
- Ensures all safety devices on equipment are in good working order.
- Performs routine welding repairs to equipment.
- Maintains accurate repair orders, parts usage, and repair times through utilization of a computerized system.
- Performs routine housekeeping duties related to materials, tools, shop, and work areas to maintain a clean and safe work area in compliance with company and OSHA standards.
- Performs repair and maintenance of heavy equipment in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Professional interaction with internal and external customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including standing, lifting, pushing, pulling, squatting, bending, kneeling, climbing and working in awkward positions and tight areas).
- Must be able to lift and carry weights exceeding 50 pounds.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude of heavy equipment maintenance and repair.
- Experience using repair manuals, wiring (electrical) diagrams and schematics necessary to troubleshoot or repair equipment or component failure.
- Advanced knowledge of heavy equipment components and systems.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays.
- Must be able to travel to locations and stay out of town when needed
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Must understand and follow DOT rules and regulations
- Good written and verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Must possess necessary tools to perform assigned tasks.
- Familiarity with using a computer.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Minimum 5 years performing repair and maintenance on heavy trucks and equipment and related components.
- Must have at least a valid Class B CDL.
- Must have a valid DOT medical card or able to obtain prior to hire.
- Must not have any DUI’s or OVI's within the last 5 years or 2 in the last 10 years.
- Must not have any license suspensions within the last 2 years.
- No more than 3 moving violations within the last 2 years.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to communicate, understand, and respond to questions, directions, traffic signs, signals, and safety training.
- Exposure to noise, heat, dust, and fumes as found in a repair facility.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions possible.
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature, complexity and level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this position, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Rumpke is an Equal Opportunity Employer